Sunday, October 4, 2009

What a storm!

Last night was one of the biggest storms we have experienced in the last 10 years living in our canyon. The wind was so strong that I thought the roof was going to come right off of our house! The power went off and on several times in the night. Of course at about 8:45 am it went off again. How are we going to watch conference? Mr. Jones was prepared and hooked up the generator to the TV downstairs. We watched the morning session and loved hearing all of the messages that were given. It was great!
Yesterday we decided we better get the apples made into cider. Nate and Rachel brought up some boxes of their granny smith apples to mix with our red and yellow delicious and whatever else variety of apples we have. We found that the best tasting cider is a mix of several types of apples. With Mary, Isaac, Nate, Rachel, Kace, and Tydon's help we were finished in no time and had lots of cider jugs filled. Tydon and Kace were quite the helpers throwing the apples in the grinder and helping grandpa pick them off of the trees. Tydon's most favorite part though was riding on the 4 wheeler.
In the bottom picture you can see the same tree that we were standing under yesterday, it has lost a few of it's branches. It is going to take me awhile to clean up the mess the wind made in our yard.


I was happy to get the tomatoes made into chili and spaghetti sauce. The peaches in the bottles and the apples in the jugs. There was an early frost this year and my beautiful flowers are gone, the tomatoes are frozen and any fruit that was left on the trees is surely blown up the canyon. I guess I have to realize that summer is really gone. I loved the summer but it just went a little too fast. Thanks everyone for helping with the cider, it is very yummy. I am going to try and put all of the wonderful talks that I have heard in the last 2 days to better myself in the next 6 months. Don't you just love the spiritual uplift you get after listening to our prophets speak. It was a great day and I am glad that we were prepared.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

yes, listening to conference always gives me a resolve to do better. The cider was delicious and it was a great time too!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had fun! I certainly loved the cider you made at my mom's a few years back. I also remember how fun it was. Glad you were able to listen to conference. I love it when trials come and we are prepared for them!!!

Unknown said...

Way to go Idaho! heehee :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails