The other night at mutual the girls wanted to make homemade ice cream so I found Grandma Shaw's ice cream recipe and made it the night before. I have not made home made ice cream for a long time and thought I would just be able to walk down in the fruit room and find the ice cream freezer maker. I looked and looked and could not figure out where it was and I even got Mr. Jones in on the hunting. He looked everywhere as well and was not able to find it either. Because it was the night before I was kind of running out of time, I had to work the next day so I had to hurry and find it or we wouldn't have an activity for the next night. I started looking on the internet to see where I could possibly buy one. But all I found was some ice cream makers which you had to put the bowl in the freezer over night, which I wouldn't be able to do since it was 9:00 pm and everything was closing and I would have to run clear to Logan to get one. I could order one but it would take 3-5 days to have it delivered and they were about $200.00. Mr. Jones said ,"I will call Stokes (our neighborhood grocery store in Preston) and see if they have one." I being quite pessimistic about there ever being one at Stokes said, "There is no way they would have one." Ryan was ignoring my negative attitude and got the phone book and looked up the number and started talking to someone at the store. After waiting for about 5 minutes for the person to look and get back on the phone, I listened to his responses and then he said, " You do have one." " How big is it?" It is a big one , okay we will be over to get it." I thought he was joking when he got off the phone but he said they had one. So I got dressed and went to Stokes to get it. Yes, they had one and it was only $34.95, WHAT A BARGAIN!! especially because I needed it right NOW!
So, when I got home I poured the ice cream in the container and put it in the fridge overnight.( the above picture really isn't me because I deleted the pictures I took by mistake.) I had some great pictures of the girls eating their home made ice cream and those got deleted as well)
Here is the recipe.
Grandma Shaw’s Vanilla Ice Cream
4 c. milk
¼ tsp salt
4 eggs
2 T. flour
2 c. sugar
Mix ingredients together in a large pan and bring to a boil. Remove from stove and add 2 c. cold milk plus 2 cups of whipping cream (or you can add 1 quart of half and half.) and then add 3 T vanilla. Cool down in refrigerator for a couple of hours. Freeze in ice cream freezer. Frozen fruit may be added for flavoring, such as peaches, strawberries, etc. When using fruit omit 2 cups of milk and just add 2 cups of fruit. When using peaches, add ¼ t. almond extract. Makes one gallon of ice cream!

It was delicious!! So if it snows make Ice Cream!!! (It snowed today)

4 comments:
Mom, you are such an awesome young women's leader. No wonder you have had that calling so much. You are fun and creative. That is an awesome deal on the ice cream maker. So what happened with all the pics?
I took them with my phone and somehow they were deleted. Maybe my card is full?
I didn't think those were your hands :) What a great deal on an ice cream maker. I'll bet the girls loved it!
Nummy! It makes me want ice cream right now. Happy Easter.
Post a Comment