Warning: This is a long story!
I have have had an unusual life experience. As most of you know, Caitlin has a business where she breeds and sells AKC puppies. Her Yorkie had puppies in the summer and she finally sold all of them. One of the puppies that she sold was sold to a lady. Caitlin had worked out a contract for this lady to make payments so that she could buy the dog. (Caitlin was trying to be nice to her)
The woman had paid a $300 deposit and had told Caitlin that she would pay the rest, $800 when she got her inheritance from her grandmother's death. ( Now, that I think of it, that sounds kind of fishy as well.) It has been 4 months and Caitlin had been texting her and calling her and the woman always had an excuse about the money coming next week. This week Caitlin had tried to call her and her phone had been disconnected so, Caitlin called me yesterday and wondered if I would go down to Salt Lake with her to pick up the dog. There was an agreement and a contract that if the buyer was unable to pay, that the seller would get the dog back and that the deposit would be non refundable. This contract had been signed and Caitlin had the contract. Before we left Caitlin had called the police in Logan to ask them if there were any forms or anything that she needed to fill out and what she needed to do to get the puppy back. They had told her that there was a repossession form but for the small amount of $800 that she would be better off to get the puppy and if there was a problem to get the form later. I got off of work at 2pm and we went to Salt Lake. We had called Ryan to see if he could go as well but we never got a reply so, on we went. When we got to the apartment where this lady her husband and 4 kids lived, I noticed in the window a tile with the vinyl lettering in their window that said, "Christ is the center of our home." This somehow made me feel more comfortable about knocking on the door. When the husband opened the door he opened it about 3 inches and asked what we wanted. Caitlin told him her name and he then said," Oh, yes I remember you," and then asked us to come in. When we went in the puppy came running up to Caitlin and was wagging her tail so Caitlin reached down to pet her and then she picked the puppy up and held it while she petting it. Caitlin then told the husband that she had been calling and unable to reach them and that she needed to work something out about the payment of the money. The husband then immediately said, "We just got the money today", and then went back down a hall to talk to his wife. We could here the wife saying, loudly, "It's my money" and something else that we couldn't make out. The husband then said, "They are going to take the dog if you don't have the money." and then the wife was screaming something about money. At that point Caitlin, said, "Mom, we need to leave," so I opened the door and the husband then came down the hall and yelled, "This is theft, you can't take the dog!" and then we heard more yelling and we were quickly going down the stairs to get into the car. By the time we got to the bottom of the stairs, the wife had come out the door and was yelling every kind of obscenity at us she could throw out and she came down the stairs like a mad woman, yelling the whole way down. She then ran after Caitlin and grabbed her hair and pulled it and then grabbed her around the neck. While Caitlin was still holding on to the dog, the woman then grabbed the dog around the throat with her other hand. Caitlin at this time was screaming,"Help me," and my mind was racing so fast trying to think what to do to help her. I grabbed the woman's hand that was around the dog's throat and was trying to put pressure on her wrist to get her to let go, and she yelled at me some very UN nice words and said, "you touch me and I am going to sue you for everything you are worth!" I then let go, I don't no why, but I was trying to be nice! Caitlin was still screaming and then I heard her say, Stop, you're killing the dog!" I then could see that her death grip around the dog's neck was increasing and the dog was struggling. I guess the husband had just been standing on the stairs the whole time and when he heard that she was killing the dog, he jumped in and grabbed his wife and drug her off while she was still fighting and screaming, and he yelled, "Mandy stop, what are you doing?" As he was dragging her up the stairs, I heard more words that shouldn't be heard or repeated and I then told Caitlin, run to the car and let's get out of here. We ran to the car and I took the dog from Caitlin and she started driving, she was sobbing and I was near tears as well. I grabbed my phone and called 911 and proceeded to tell the dispatcher what happened. I told Caitlin to go somewhere, so we could pull over and we found a gas station convenience store and waited until the officers arrived. They listened to what happened and asked if we wanted to press charges and they took down all of our information and then told us that they felt like they needed to go and talk to the couple to hear what they had to say. They asked us to stay at the gas station. We waited about 20 minutes and then one of the officers called me and asked if we would give the lady and the man the dog if they paid for it. "Of, course, that is why we came in the first place! The police officer then said to wait until they called and we then would drive back to the apartment and give them the dog. ( I know this story is long!) We then got another call telling us that we should come over because the woman had left to get the money from the bank. When we got back to the apartment. the officer met us and had us park down the street. He told us to wait until he came back and then we could get out of the car. He then asked us what had happened when the husband had answered the door when we first had arrived. We told him that the mad had opened the door when he had realized who we were and had invited us in. Well, according to the couples story we had forced our way into the house and had taken the dog and I had attacked the lady of the house! "No, that was not the way it was!" The officer then said that he believed our story because they had been to this house numerous times and that this lady was a "Drama Queen", that was his exact words. (I wanted to add, also she is quite "psycho", but refrained.) Then a car came and parked in front of the house and a man and a woman, and the "lady who assaulted us" got out of the car. The officer had us get out of the car and we stood away, down the sidewalk. We could hear what she was saying and it still was not nice, and she didn't want to see us because it would traumatize her more. (Oh, please!) The officer then told us to wait a few minutes because he said, "there were some other issues that they needed to clear up first with the couple." The officer said, "We have been here before and need to get these things resolved first." Finally, after talking to the lady he came back and asked if we had the AKC papers, I think they thought we wouldn't have them, but Caitlin had come prepared, because we were going to give them to the owners when they paid for the dog. The assault lady would not come over so she sent the woman who had got out of the car with her over with an envelope of money. Come to find out this couple was the Bishop and his wife. So, the Bishop's wife came over and immediately started verbally assaulting us because we had not honored the contract and that this woman had a year to pay for the dog. Caitlin and I looked at each other, because that is the first we had heard that she had a year to pay for the dog!" The officer immediately stopped the Bishop's wife from attacking us further and told her to just give us the money. I felt bad because I really wanted to talk to this woman and tell her the Real story. I am pretty sure the Bishop's wife was so upset because it was her own money that they were using to pay for the dog. After the money was given and the lady glared at us like we were the bad people, the officer told us that if this was ever to happen again, (Oh, I think we learned a life lesson about trusting people to pay!) that we should first call the police and they would escort us to the door and stand by until the transaction was finished. (That was nice to know, the Logan police did not tell us that.) WE definitely will not be doing this again!!! The officer then told us to drive safely home. So, how is that experience? If this was April 1st, I would say April Fools, right now, but, No, this was a very true story!! I feel kind of traumatized right now, and feel bad that Caitlin, got attacked and I just stood by with out helping her much. Whoever thought that this would happen? and what would you do if it happened to you? I definitely learned some life lessons last night and I don't think I will ever be able to look at the saying, "Christ is the center of this home" quite the same again!
7 comments:
I thought you learned your lesson with the guy from London!? I am sorry that that happened though. Definitely a lesson learned. You just can't trust anyone these, sadly. We love you and Caitlin and hope that you guys are recovering.
oh my gosh! I'm dying right now! I can't believe something like this really happened; this really is a horrifying experience. I can see why you and caitlin both feel traumatized. I can't believe that there are really people (especially church members) who act like this!
How crazy and bizarre! I am glad you two are ok. I am much more aggressive so I am pretty sure I would have been right in the middle of the fight. Very smart to call the police and get things recorded. Who knows what that terrible woman will do to someone else.
WOW! That is all I have to say. CRAZY! Oh, and it was too bad Ryan couldn't come with you.
OH. MY. GOSH. How crazy is that lady. How traumatic for you guys and the dog. Definitely lesson learned.
Wow! People are crazy. Sad these people haven't learned much of what they profess to believe in. I'm glad you guys are ok- that could've turned out worse.
Oh my goodness! People are psycho!!! I hope you recover ok from this!
Post a Comment