Monday, January 21, 2008

Dad in the PI

My thanks to Mrs Jones for her skills in helping me get these pictures onto the "blog" as it were.
I thought it might be interesting to put some Philippines pictures of when I was there in 1973-74. The first is the picture of me at the mission home in Manila.








This one is at a baptism in Iloilo, which was my second area. As you can see the water is not very deep so we would go out where you can see the last wave and time the prayer with the wave to make sure we were able to get them "all wet" if you know what I mean.
The kids always would flock around and say "Ayna ko! Mataas ang ilong". I'm sure the spelling is wrong but the sounds are right. Mac should be able to understand. You would probably think they were admiring how tall I was, but instead they are saying what a high nose you have. Which I think is like saying what a large proboscis you have.
A cement court was a rarity, but the kids loved to play just the same.

This is one of my favorite pictures. I was thinking of Elder Jones on this one. I was a Zone Leader and got to go to Baguio and they had real pine trees, kind of. I even got to play a round of golf on the American golf course there. People even wore coats up there. I missed the mountains so much it was wonderful to be there. I only got to go twice and then was pulled into the mission home to go down to Cebu and open up the second Philippines Mission.





I talked a kid into letting me ride his caribou. It was just a young female. they get bigger than this, but not a whole lot taller. I was quite surprised how tame they are. they have a few horses over there, but they are about the size of a one year old colt. They look like a real skinny pony. The caribou was the real work horse over there. They did anything and every thing with them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's one good lookin' Elder!! Is it caribou or water buffalo though? I love the one with the basketball, I have always loved that one ever since I can remember.

Donene said...

Dad said that they call them Caribou over there and yes I agree he is one good looking Elder! I will have to fix the picture though because there is something on his eye and it looks like someone gave him a black eye.

Rachel said...

LOVE IT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails