Friday, October 31, 2008

I Love Halloween

This year Isaac was the Astronaut, Mel was the dead cheerleader and Mac was the Ninja turtle.I have always loved Halloween, I liked the dress up part but more I think I loved the candy. We would try and see who could save their candy the longest and Carolyn was always the winner. I think one year she saved it until Easter!(she always had so much will power.) I loved the costumes, I remember trying to think of something original to be. One year my friend Angela and I decided we would be a purple cow and we worked for days to make the costume. We dyed a sheet purple and with the help of her Mom we made a head and then the body. She was the head and I was the body. We won the costume contest,(that was our goal), I can't remember what the prize was but I have always been so competitive and just winning was great. I remember when I was little that at Zella Chard's (she was a teacher at Valley elementary and she never had any children, so her students were her kids) Witch Maggie always came at Halloween. Witch Maggie was a legend in the Valley and she always came to the Chard's. Well when you would go trick or treating at their house you had to watch out because Witch Maggie would be hiding behind something and would chase you after you had your candy. One year we had our candy and was coming back to the car and she came from out from behind the bushes and started chasing us, we were petrified and started running and screaming. Carolyn, my little sister fell down as she started running and she started crying, I remember running back to help her and thinking," Oh, Witch Maggie is going to get us and that will be the end of us." I was terrified and I think Carolyn was more terrified than I was, we made it back to the car but I was always a little leery of going to that place. Witch Maggie was a very authentic looking witch and we never found out who she was, it wasn't Zella or her husband Lyle, and even when they became old they never would tell anyone who she was. They are both dead now and their secret went with them to their grave, if you see any authentic looking witches out their tonight, beware Witch Maggie may be back! I still loved Halloween when my kids were growing up and I lived my fantasies through them, I really did love making their costumes and Caitlin actually loved being the princess and so I was usually making her a beautiful princess dress. This year she wanted to be Scarlett, from Gone with the Wind. I found a dress at the DI and cut it up and made this dress for her.


This is Mel and she usually liked her face painted and wanted to be something scary. Our tradition on Halloween night was to go trick or treating around our house and of course our last stop would be at Grandma and Grandpa Shaw's so we could show them our costumes and show them all the loot that we had received that night.


This was the year that Caitlin was Belle and of course here she is showing Grandpa all of the candy she got. Grandpa would try and distract her and then tease her by taking some of her candy. If it was something she liked she would make him give it back and if it was something she didn't like she would let him have it.


This was a Halloween when Grandpa, Grandma, and Grandma Marriott dressed up, they were going to a party so we came over to see them, Mel and Isaac thought they looked great.



Here is Caitlin on her first Halloween isn't she a cute butterfly!


Here we are at Grandpa and Grandma Shaw's again and Grandpa thought he should be the witch. Nate is the ghost, Rainee is the princess and Mel is the scary witch. Oh, Grandpa you make such a cute witch.


This actually was a project that Rainee and Sharlene made for their humanities class in high school. The waist on this was about 10 inches and it really was made to fit a doll but when they got through they decided Caitlin should wear it. She loved going to the high school to model it and it was so funny to see this 2 1/2 foot tall little girl sauntering down the halls of Weber High showing off her dress.


Isaac is the Ninja, Caitlin is Belle and Mac was? I can't remember but I think it was? Okay I am drawing a blank, if anyone remembers tell me. Anyway he wanted to be this guy and we had to get a picture so we could copy the outfit, anyway he looked pretty good.


This was the year that Caitlin was a ladybug, she always made the cutest bugs.
So have some great memories with your kids because Halloween is fun and I miss those days when I was trying to get 6 costumes ready, well I guess I didn't really have to get 6 all at once because by the time Nathan was older he and his friends loved to go to the DI and make up their own costume. Any way have a great Halloween and don't get too sick eating all of the candy.









5 comments:

Rainee said...

Mac was cyclops from the X-men. Just so you know. I always loved dressing up too. I don't now because I feel silly when I do.

Rachel said...

I always loved halloween too and it was fun reading all your memories!

The Obergs said...

Donene, you are the Halloween queen! I'm impressed with all of your great costumes.

Unknown said...

Oh, I AM my mother's child!!! I LOVE Halloween too. Alot of those pictures brought back some good memories. I always loved going to grandma's and grandpa's afterwards too. And yes, grandpa ALWAYS tried to be sneaky and take some of our candy. When we were trick or treating, I also thought of...oh, I can't remember their names now, but they always had the twinkies!! That was the only house I really cared about going to. aaaahhh...good times!! :)

Donene said...

Yes Halloween is very fun and I remember the Twinkies, it was from the Fieldings and this year they were my inspiration. I ran into Mac and Jessica when I was finding Trick or Treat candy and Mac said Mom you have got to give something like Twinkies because that was the coolest. So for our Trunk or Treat this year I gave Twinkies and they were a great hit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails