
Mrs. Jones wrote the last blog and "dissed" my pictures for being so "small", so I decided to get up close and personal with these. As you can see, I have taken my life into my hands and crept up very close to get these.

In this picture, you may not notice the tree on the right, but it is purposely there in case big Brutus decides he wants a piece of me.

I saw this fine speciman coming up through some quackies and the sun was in my eyes just coming up in the East. I saw some flash of horn and then the top of his back. the sun made his hair look grey in the bright light and I thought I was going to get the biggest deer of my life. Of course when he came out into full view I saw that it was not a deer at all. So I decided to take some photos instead.

This picture is that of a six point bull elk. yes, it is dead. No, they don't sleep this way. The tracks in the dirt said that someone had shot this guy and he was walking up towards where I'm standing and then fell dead and rolled down into this position. The far horn was under him and I have pulled his head out...well around anyway, so that you could see the horns better. He has been dead about 7 to 10 days as I can figure. If you dare, you can enlarge the picture and see the maggots. there's lots of them, but I must warn you its disgusting. I tried to cut its head off and haul it out, but the smell was more than even I could stand. Nathan said he could still smell it on my clothes in the truck even though I only touched his horns with my glove. It was pretty potent stuff.
I took a frontal shot to help you see that this was a good sized elk, but still his horns suggest that he was only in his third or fourth year. alot of meat went to waste, becuse some hunter isn't smart enough to go check to see if they hit it after shooting at it. they run off and don't even flinch or give you a clue that they are hit and you'll think you've missed them, but then they just keel over all of a sudden. Nate and I are planning on going back, sometime, and collect the horns for our "pile".
1 comment:
Those were some good pictures dad. You could actually see the beasts! Very smart about the tree. I love your hunting stories! :)
Post a Comment