Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ellis Island

After we finished at the statue of Liberty we took the ferry over to Ellis Island. That was quite fascinating to see how the immigrants who came to America in the early history of our nation were treated.
It is quite a grand building and I wish I would have known if any of my relatives came to America through this island because I would have loved to look them up on the computers they had there.
Does it look like Caitlin is holding up the world! The statistics and displays in the museum there were quite interesting and I really liked the one below where the pictures of people from all over the world are then changed to a picture of the American flag depending on where you are standing in the room.
See, here is the flag view.


The brick work and tile in this building is amazing, I don't know if you can see the tile on this arched ceiling but someone had to probably stand on there head to put each of those little tiles on the ceiling and make sure they stayed where they were supposed to stay!
Here is a view of the Island on the ferry.
And here is another view of that grand hall, I am supposing all of those immigrants were herded into. I am glad that I was born in America and didn't have to go through this process. I guess I am glad this isn't how
we still do it.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I have some ancestors that came through Ellis Island. That was cool to see their architecture. I can't believe the bricks.

Unknown said...

This is one place that I wish I could have visited while our time out here. Looks pretty cool.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails