Sunday, January 22, 2012

A River Runs Through it!

I don't think I like that movie any more.

Yesterday morning we had a disaster and this river came running into our house. We have had a lot of rain in the last few days and on Friday night, I don't think it stopped all night. The ditch above the house I think is there to prevent the run off but instead the horses made a little dam  in the ditch and the only way the water could go was down.  The ground is frozen, so, with so much rain it made rivers everywhere. (What is up with rain, it is January!!!)

The river ran through the back yard and into the window wells, ( Do you see any windows underneath there?)
The water was about 5 or 6 inches above the window wells.


When I came down to exercise yesterday morning, I got to the bottom of the stairs and started screaming."WATER!", "Everywhere WATER"  Ryan just grabbed his coat and shovel and went running outside and started frantically trying to divert the river. I ran into my hobby room. (or I should say sloshed,) to try and save whatever I could.  The water was coming through the windows over the ledge and down onto the counter, then onto the floor. ( if it wasn't such an ugly color it would have looked like one of those beautiful fountains.)  I realized that I was going to freeze to death in my shoes, so I ran and got my water boots and opened the back door in the basement and grabbed a shovel and started shoveling water as fast as I could.

This is not a site I wanted to see.
 I realized that Ryan and I were not going to win this war with the water so I called a member of the Bishopric, Nate Winward and told him we were in trouble. I then called Mac, I had held my composure until then but kind of lost it when I looked at the mess we had.  He said, he would be right there and I resumed my shoveling of water.  The river was coming out of my hobby room and Ryan's gun room and I could actually see a ripple of water as it came shooting down the bathroom hallway.  It kind of seemed like forever before someone showed up, because all I could do was shovel like crazy.  Ryan was having the same struggles, because the ground is frozen it was like digging cement to try and make a ditch for the water to run.

Here is his gun room, after I tried to save the guns that were on the floor.  Just to let you know as soon as I would take a picture the water would be up another inch, so I was hurrying to get these.

Here is the water fall coming down the steps.

We also had a river in the front yard.

Yep, that is a pretty good stream. Then the help started coming and it was like a gift to watch as they all pitched in and some went up to the barn, some relieved me of shoveling, I started getting things out of the other rooms and everyone started moving whatever needed to be moved..  A sump pump was hooked up in the back and once the dike for the river was made and the window wells emptied the river stopped.

Now for the cleanup.

I can see the floor now.

This is the bathroom after the water was stopped. Mud everywhere.
For Christmas Rainee and Doug gave us tickets to Bryan Regan, I was so excited to go and of course the tickets were for 3 o'clock on this day.  I was sure we would not be able to go but with all of the help we were making significant progress, (after 5 hours)  So, Mac and Jess, and Mary and Isaac, said, "Go, we can finish here."  I felt bad leaving but I didn't want to waste the tickets. Besides, I figured I needed some laughs on this day.. ( There wasn't much laughter going on before this!)

So, we made it to the Bryan Regan show.

and he did make me laugh.

Came home to this, we have 3 blowers going.

This looks better!

Mac's room minus everything in it! I am not sure the mattress will survive though because it was under the window and pretty much became a big sponge!

Exercise room, just need to mop up some of the mud.

Storage room.

Garage with all of the stuff that needs to be put away.
and a video so you can see the water fall.
 Nope, don't want to repeat this day!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa mama! Not fun. Glad you had some help though.

Jessica J. said...

Man, that was a horrible experience... hopefully things will start getting back to normal... and soon.

Mary Jones said...

I'm glad that you were able to go to the Brian Regan show. What a perfect day to have something to make you laugh at the end of the day. Your house needed to dry at that point anyway. You did very well at keeping your composure. I think I would be a nightmare.

The Obergs said...

what a nightmare! I'm so sorry you guys had this happen to you. I'm glad that you had such great family and neighbors to help you out. best of luck with the rest of the cleanup.

Rachel said...

I can't believe I missed this post I thought you had just put it on the easypeasy blog. I can't believe those pictures. What a crazy crazy horrible thing. I would have lost it. Let us know if we can help with the rest of the projects you have now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails